Lentil soup has always been one of my favorite soup recipes! Not only is it very hearty, flavorful and satisfying, lentils are also a superfood! All you have to do is soak your lentils for a couple of hours prior to cooking and then this quick & easy lentil soup can be prepared in no time!
What exactly is a lentil? A lentil is part of the legume family; it is the cousin to beans, chickpeas and soybeans. It is small, but mighty. Lentils come in a variety of colors: green, brown, black, red, yellow… they are inexpensive, versatile, and full of protein & fiber. Lentils are very popular in Indian and Middle Eastern dishes… have you ever had red lentil dal or creamy coconut lentil curry? SO GOOD!
Why are lentils so beneficial for our health? Well, for starters, they are loaded with B vitamins, magnesium, iron and zinc. In addition to all of those amazing vitamins and minerals, lentils are full of protein and fiber which are also very important for our body. Protein keeps us fuller longer so a small serving of lentils can do wonders at curbing our appetites. Plus, protein is the building block for bones, muscles and skin. Fiber is good for our gut health. One serving size of lentils can help with any tummy or constipation issues you may have. Who doesn’t love going to the bathroom regularly?!?!
Below is a video of moi preparing my creamy, delicious, vegan lentil soup which I hope you enjoy! Also- recipe below video. Hope you give it a try!
Green Lentil Soup with Tangy Balsamic Reduction
- Large Sauce Pot
- Small Sauce Pot
- Wooden Spoon
- Cutting Board & Chef Knife
- 2 Tbsp Avocado Oil
- 2 Leeks roughly chopped
- 2 stalks Celery roughly chopped
- 2 Carrots roughly chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 cup Green Lentils soaked 2 hours prior to cooking/drained
- 15 oz can Coconut Milk
- 3 1/2 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 cup Balsamic Vinegar optional
- Fresh Grilled Bread optional
- Begin by heating the avocado oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the leek, celery and carrot with a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper. Cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and cook until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the pre-soaked and drained green lentils to the pot. Stir so all ingredients are incorporated.
- Then, add the coconut milk followed by 3 cups vegetable stock.
- Add the turmeric, cinnamon and another pinch of salt and pepper.
- Bring the soup to a boil before reducing the heat to low and covering with a lid. Cook for 25-30 minutes.
- While the soup cooks, add 1 cup balsamic vinegar to a small sauce pot and reduce over medium high heat until thick and syrupy, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Remove the soup from the heat and carefully ladle into a blender. Blend until the soup is smooth.
- Pour the soup back into the pot and add 1/2 cup vegetable stock to loosen the soup slightly.
- Ladle the soup into a bowl and drizzle with the balsamic reduction. Enjoy with grilled bread. Bon Appetit!!