A delicious, cost-effective recipe that can turn into a bomb breakfast or brunch the next day? Sign me up!
I love cooking but let’s be honest, since we are always home nowadays, it can be hard to constantly think of new and creative recipes. I feel as though I’ve prepared everything my creative cooking threshold can allow. Every day I ask my husband “What should we have for dinner?” And I always get the same answer: “Whatever you want, babe.” Not helpful at all…
COVID-19 cases have been on the uprise so we are all forced to stay put and stay indoors once again. With the holiday season around the corner, the chances of people getting sick due to huddling indoors with other people are very high. We really need to understand and accept the magnitude of the situation. Believe me, I want things to go back to normal so badly. I really really do. However, I know that I want my loved ones to be safe and healthy. I’m not so much worried about myself as I am my parents or my husband’s parents and grandparents. The goal is to have a normal, safe holiday season with all of our loved ones next year… so that means sacrificing a “normal” holiday season this year.
This recipe is so amazing because the leftovers can turn into an entire new dish! This is the definition of “bang for your buck.” I hope you give this one a try as YOU.WILL.LOVE!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Cutting Board & Chef Knife
- Large Pot
- Food Blender
- 2 Tbsp Avocado Oil
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 1 quart Chicken Stock
- 1 30 oz can Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 Yellow Onion large dice
- 1 Red Bell Pepper large
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper large dice
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper large dice
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Ground Cumin
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Green Ancho Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 15 oz can Black Beans drained & rinsed
- 1 Lime juiced
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro chopped
- 3 Corn Tortillas cut into strips & fried
- Avocado diced
- Sour Cream
- Mexican Blend Cheese
- Cotija Cheese
- Pickled Jalapenos
- Crispy Corn Tortilla Chips
- Cilantro chopped
- 2 cup Leftover Chicken Tortilla Soup warmed up
- 1/2 cup Tortilla Chips
- 2 Eggs over easy or sunny-side up
- 1/2 Avocado optional
- Fresh Cilantro optional
- First, begin by preheating the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut the onion, bell peppers and jalapeno pepper into large pieces and toss with 1 Tbsp avocado oil and a sprinkle of salt & pepper. Spread evenly onto a baking sheet.
- Roast the veggies in the oven until they are visibly charred, about 25-30 minutes.
- Heat 1 Tbsp avocado oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the charred vegetables along with the garlic. *Keep a close eye on the garlic as it burns quickly.*
- Then, add the fire roasted tomatoes along with their juices, chicken stock, cumin, chili powder, ancho powder and onion powder.
- Bring the soup to a rolling simmer and then add the chicken breast directly to the pot.
- Cook the soup for 45-60 minutes.
- Remove the chicken breast from the pot and transfer to a cutting board. Shred with two forks.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth. Return the soup to the pot.
- Add the shredded chicken along with the drained & rinsed beans to the soup. Cook the soup for an additional 10 minutes.
- Add the lime juice, freshly chopped cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with optional toppings. Bon Appetit!
- *To fry the tortilla, heat 1-2 Tbsp avocado oil in a small frying pan over medium high heat. Cook the tortilla in the oil for 1-2 minutes per side. Remove and let drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with a touch of salt.*
- Heat the leftover soup in a pot on the stove.
- Add the 1/2 cup tortilla chips to the soup and allow to soak and soften.
- In the meantime, fry two eggs over easy or sunny-side up.
- Bowl the soup and top with the eggs, avocado, cilantro and other additional toppings you enjoy!