My mom was recently in town to help me with all of my wedding planning which was super sweet of her to do. She still lives in Louisiana while I am in Austin so we don’t get to see each other too often. She is always willing to drop everything and get on a plane (disclosure: she doesn’t like to drive long distances) to see me. I’m so grateful for her!
Anyways, back to this delicious recipe. I love pasta. Like, Italian is probably one of my favorite cuisines next to Tex Mex. There’s just something about noodles and a variety of proteins and ingredients that can be so extremely delicious. If you don’t like pasta, I don’t want to be friends with you. *You can’t sit with us!* (Raise your hand if you’re a Mean Girls fan.)
My summertime pantry pasta recipe is super easy to whip up as most of the ingredients might already be in your kitchen.
Enough talking…let’s start cooking.
For this recipe you will need:
1/2 cup avocado oil
1 box penne pasta
4 garlic cloves, smashed
3 pints cherry tomatoes
3/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 jar marinated artichokes
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken stock
1 1/2 Tbsp capers
1 cup fresh basil leaves
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Begin by bringing a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Cook the pasta until al dente.
- Heat 1/2 avocado oil over a large saute pan over medium low heat. Add the whole garlic and cook until fragrant. Be careful not to burn!
- Add the tomatoes and increase the heat to medium. Sprinkle with kosher salt and red pepper flakes
- Cook until tomatoes begin to burst, about 4-5 minutes.
- Smash some of the tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Drain the artichokes and add to the pan along with the white wine and chicken stock.
- Once the sauce has reduced by half, add the capers.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Transfer the pasta directly from the cooking water to the pan of tomatoes & artichokes with a slotted spoon. *The extra pasta water will enhance the sauce even more.*
- Add the fresh basil leaves along with a generous sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Season with salt & pepper to taste.