I have something to admit… I’m having an affair…
An affair on meat with tofu!! Seriously though, I’m having a moment with tofu and I never thought this would happen. I love meat. Chicken, beef, pork, fish… I have and most likely will always be a meat eater. However, since recently, I’ve been experimenting with tofu and I’m really enjoying the versatility of it.
You may wonder “what is tofu anyways?”
Tofu is made from smashed soy beans (part of the legume family) turned into condensed soy milk and pressed into a firm block. The process is similar to making cheese. Tofu is used heavily in vegetarian/vegan diets. It is full of protein (8 grams in 3.5 oz!) along with other essential vitamins and minerals such as: fiber, manganese, calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc. Consuming tofu provides our bodies with some major health benefits like combatting against bone loss, improving memory and brain function, improve skin elasticity, and aids in weight loss. Have I given you good reasons to consume tofu by now?? 🙂
The other night, I made a pad thai with crispy tofu and it was sooo good and satisfying. To be honest, usually I swear away from noodle dishes (carbs, carbs, carbs) because I love noodles and tend to over-indulge. However, adding the tofu made this dish much more filling and satisfying so I wasn’t tempted to go back for seconds. I call it a miracle!
I highly recommend preparing this if you want to eat something comforting yet healthy, are pressed for time, or just want to experiment with a new dish that you wouldn’t normally prepare. Hope you enjoy!!
Pad Thai with Crispy Tofu
- Large Saute Pan or Wok
- Medium Sauce Pot
- Wooden Spoon
- Cutting Board & Chef Knife
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp Avocado, Coconut OR Peanut Oil
- 1 Shallot chopped
- 1 cup Shiitake Mushrooms sliced
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 tsp Fresh Ginger chopped
- 1 cup Extra Firm Tofu cubed
- 2 Eggs beaten
- 1 package Pad Thai Rice Noodles
- 3 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- 3 Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp Chinese Five-Spice
- Kosher Salt & Fresh Black Pepper
- Lime Wedges
- Shredded Carrot
- Bean Sprouts
- In a medium pot, bring water to a boil for the pad thai rice noodles.
- Cook the noodles according to package directions.
- In a wok or large saute pan, head the sesame oil & avocado oil over medium heat.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms, shallot, garlic and ginger and cook over medium heat until tender, about 5-6 minutes.
- Push all ingredients to one side of the pan. Sprinkle the Chinese five-spice, salt & pepper over the tofu. Cook the tofu seasoned-side down in a pan until crispy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Season unseasoned-side with a sprinkle of Chinese five-spice, salt and pepper. Flip the tofu over and sear the other side until crispy.
- Remove the tofu from the pan and set aside.
- Scramble the egg in the pan next to the vegetables.
- Combine the fish sauce, rice wine vinegar and soy sauce in a bowl. Pour the sauce into the pan with the egg and vegetables. Combine all ingredients.
- Then, add the noodles to the pan and toss until coated with the vegetables, scrambled egg and sauce.
- Add the chopped peanuts or cashews and freshly sliced green onion. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Top the pad thai with the crispy tofu and desired toppings. Enjoy!!