PASTA! One of my favorite comfort foods. It’s delicious any time of the day, any season of the year, and it’s so versatile in preparation. One of the pasta dishes on my Damn.Delicious.ATX menu is this orecchiette with sausage, kale and herby breadcrumbs.
I love creating dishes which compliment the time of the year. Right now, during the Fall season, I’m having love affairs with any flavor, herb or spice which represents Fall. Sage, kale, fennel… I love all of it so much right now. This recipe takes less than 30 minutes to prepare and it makes for great leftovers.
We paired this dish with a delicious Fall harvest salad consisting of fresh mixed greens, roasted butternut squash, dried cherries, crumbled goat cheese, candied sunflower seeds and an apple cider/maple vinaigrette. It truly was the easiest and most delicious meal!
Orecchiette with Sausage, Kale and Herby Breadcrumbs
- Cutting Board & Chef Knife
- Large Pot
- Large Saute Pan
- Food Processor
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 lb Orecchiette Pasta
- 1 lb Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 bunch Kale leaves removed from stems & chopped
- 1 large Shallot small dice
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Lemon juiced
- 1/2 cup Dry White Wine
- 1/2 cup Chicken Stock
- 2 Tbsp Boursin Cheese
- Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 bunch Curly Parsley chopped
- Kosher Salt to taste
- 2 slices Sourdough Bread
- 4 Sage Leaves
- 1 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- Pinch of Salt & Pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Cook the ground Italian sausage until browned.
- Add the shallot and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine and allow to reduce by half.
- Add the chicken stock to the pan followed by the chopped kale leaves. *The kale will cook down very quickly.*
- Add the lemon juice and red pepper flakes to the pan.
- While the sauce cooks over low heat, boil the pasta according to package instructions.
- When the pasta is al dente, using a pasta ladle or large slotted spoon, transfer the pasta from the cooking water directly to the sauce. *The extra pasta sauce will help create a beautiful, starchy sauce.*
- Toss the hot pasta with the boursin cheese until the boursin is melted and creamy.
- Season the pasta with salt & pepper to taste. Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan and curly parsely. YUM!