Can you believe that our skin is our largest organ? It has a very important job compared to other “popular” organs such as our heart, brain, kidney, liver and lungs. It is essential that we take care of our skin and I highly recommend using these 5 beauty & dermatologist-approved skin care products.
I feel like most of us (I know I do) take care of our face way more than the skin on our neck and body. I recently had some issues battling eczema and I couldn’t figure out why it suddenly popped up and was sticking around for so long. It started on my legs and I had these coin-looking circles that would appear dry and scaly and were extremely itchy. I had no idea if it was eczema, psoriasis, or even ring worm… I know, gross!
About a month after I was fed up with scratching my legs every 2 minutes, I scheduled an appointment to see a dermatologist. Since I didn’t have health insurance at the time, I had to pay an expensive doctor’s visit along with medication that did absolutely nothing. I was extremely frustrated.
I figured I would take matters into my own hands and just lather myself up with all kinds of oils. Coconut oil, avocado oil, eczema honey, all sorts of lotions… nothing was working and the worst part was that my eczema was now spreading to my arms. LIKE WHAT IS HAPPENING.
After scheduling a new appointment with a different dermatologist, she easily explained to me that it was indeed eczema that I had been dealing with and it’s a common result of a few circumstances: winter time when the air is dry and we tend to take extremely hot baths/showers, being stressed out, and not treating my entire body with the right lotion immediately after showering.
Uhhh… that was easy!! Why couldn’t the first dermatologist tell me that?!
My main point is that I had always managed to take care of the skin on my face but definitely neglected my body. Our skin plays a vital role with regulating our body temperature and protecting all of our muscles, bones, organs, etc. I feel like skin cancer isn’t talked about as much as other forms of cancer such as breast, colon and lung. More Americans are diagnosed with skin cancer each year than ANY other cancer. So, let’s take care of our skin, shall we?!
I am literally obsessed with these 5 products that I have to have in my bathroom at all times. These are the products that I pack with me any time I travel. It is extremely important to have your essential daily moisturizer with SPF, a moisturizing body cream and facial serum. Those are the 3 MOST important.
Here are my 5 fave all-time faves:
- Eminence Tropical Vanilla Day Cream SPF 32 – this stuff is LEGIT. Shout out to Viva Day Spa here in Austin for introducing the Eminence products to me. They carry everything from moisturizing creams to facial serums and eye de-puffers. I highly recommend this deliciously-smelling daily moisturizer to keep your skin feeling soft and supple.
- Farmacy Honeymoon Glow Resurfacing Night Serum – This stuff is sooo cool. You only need to apply it 2-3 nights per week but when you do, you will feel a tingling sensation on your face that doesn’t last very long but you can tell it’s really working. I’ve only been using this stuff for two weeks and I can already see a difference with my skin.
- Tatcha Facial Cleanser – the deep cleanse – my daily cleanser to keep my skin feeling soft, smooth and fresh. I love all of Tatcha’s products but this one is definitely a must-have-at-all-times in my bathroom. This stuff is really good for anyone who has oily-prone skin with uneven texture. I would say my skin is more of a combo between oily and dry (depends on the season) but this stuff is great for me!
- Cetaphil Body Cream – this is the stuff my second dermatologist recommended to me that made a HUGE difference with my eczema. It can be bought at any drugstore and a tub of it lasts forever. I simply lather this cream all over my body as soon as I get out of the shower or bath. Don’t fully towel-dry off, it’s ok to be a little damp when applying lotion. Extra hydration!
- Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe, Herbs & Rose Water – this stuff is a life-saver. The ultimate pick-me-up for your skin when it feels like it needs a little refreshing. I highly recommend spraying your makeup sponges & brushes before applying makeup for a dewey, hydrated look. Give your face a spritz any time, any where!
If you have any favorite products that you absolutely can’t live without, I would love to learn about them!