Oh happy day!!! Life is feeling so good these days. The sun has been shining, everyone I love and care about is healthy and I’ve been making time to do what I love: cook & bake… and share with the world! These mini key lime pies are giving me so much life!
I don’t recall being a huge key lime pie fan as a child… actually, a pie fan in general. I was more of a cake & cookie girl myself but lately, I’ve really been appreciating a good pie. I usually don’t allow myself to eat sweets often but when I do, it’s on, baby. Key lime pie is one of my favorite pies to devour! There is something about the tangy with the creamy… it makes for the perfect combination.
I love how these are mini and can be displayed for any occasion- tea party, bridal luncheon, baby shower, etc. I highly recommend making these as a delicious spring treat- no matter what the occasion is!
For this recipe you will need:
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 cup toasted coconut flakes
6 Tbsp melted unsalted butter
4 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
3 large egg yolks
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp lime zest
For the creamy finish:
3/4 cup whipping cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
Key lime zest & slices, garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place 12 cupcake-liners in a regular size cupcake pan. Lightly spray with baking spray.
- Pulse the graham crackers with the melted butter, 4 Tbsp sugar, and toasted coconut flakes in a food processor.
- Using your fingers, firmly press the graham cracker crust onto the bottom and sides of the cupcake liners.
- Bake the crust until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
*For a gluten free option, use gluten free graham crackers!*
Next… time for the filling:
- Whisk together the condensed milk, lime juice, egg yolks, salt and lime zest. Pour into the cooled graham cracker crust- about 1/4 of the way up.
- Bake the mini pies until they are set, about 12-14 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Once they have cooled down, place in the refrigerator to cool again, about 2 hours.
- Beat the heavy cream in a bowl with an electric or stand mixer.
- Gradually add the vanilla extract and 1 Tbsp sugar.
- Fold in a pinch of lime zest.
- Dollop or pipe the cream onto the mini pies and garnish with a lime slice.