New motto: When life gives you lemons, make cheesecake!
Life is moving so fast lately. I cannot believe we are already into the month of August! Before we know it, it will be Christmas and then bam! 2021. I really hope 2021 is a clean slate compared to 2020. Although there have been a lot of bad things which have happened this year, I can also name several good things that have also happened. My husband, Mitch, started his very first restaurant, my older brother and his wife had a baby girl so I’m an aunt for the first time, I started a small business from my house, and in less than one month, I’m turning 30 so I’m pretty excited to enter a new decade and leave the turbulent 20’s behind.Jump to Recipe
It’s important to make ourselves slow down once in a while to acknowledge the positives in our life. I am very prone to worrying about little things and dwelling on the negative, but I’m actively making my brain relax and think more optimistically and positively. For those who aren’t always looking at the glass half full like myself, adopting a new, positive mindset takes a little work. But it is very possible to achieve. Perhaps it has something to do with our horoscopes. I have some friends who think the whole horoscope thing is a bunch of BS, but I actually find it very interesting and parallel to how we behave as humans.
For example, I am a Virgo and the good characteristics about a Virgo is their loyalty, independence, conscientiousness and individualism. I can honestly say without boasting that I, myself, acquire these characteristics. However, some negative characteristics about a Virgo is critical of oneself and others, worrying, being impatient, and excessive tidiness. These are all things I’m guilty of BUT the point is that with challenging the frontal lobe of our brain – the largest lobe which controls our actions and responses – we can change the way we think and as a result, act.
What do horoscopes have to do with cheesecake? Well, nothing… but the good thing about life is that even when it is shitty and we feel like nothing is going right, we have the ability to change the way we think about a certain situation. Cooking and baking always helps me feel better when I’m stressed or in my feelings. 😉
So, without further adieu, I present this delicious, creamy, sweet, tangy and salty cheesecake. Treat yourself!
Lemon Cheesecake with Salty Pretzel Crust
- Food Processor
- Stand Mixer
- 9" Springform Pan
- 1 cup Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 1/2 cup Pretzels
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter melted
- 4 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- Pinch Kosher Salt
Lemon Cheesecake Filling
- 3 packages Cream Cheese softened
- 8 oz Sour Cream room temp
- 1 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 4 Eggs room temp
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Meyer Lemon zested & juiced
- 1 cup Lemon Curd
- Cherries, Blueberries or Raspberries garnish, optional
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9" springform pan.
- In the food processor, combine the graham cracker crumbs, pretzels, sugar and a pinch of salt. Combine until crumbly. *Small chunks of pretzel is OK*
- Add the melted butter and process again.
- Remove from the food processor and press onto the bottom of the greased, 9" springform pan.
- Next, add the softened cream cheese, room temperature sour cream & granulated sugar to a stand mixer or (cleaned) food processor. Combine until smooth.
- Then, add the eggs one by one.
- Once the eggs are incorporated, add the vanilla extract, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Beat (or blend) until all ingredients are combined for a smooth filling.
- Pour the filling onto the prepared crust in the pan.
- *To prevent your cheesecake from cracking, fill a deep, shallow pan 1/4th of the way with water. Place the cheesecake pan into the water pan. This is called a water bath.*
- Bake the cheesecake for 55 minutes. Once 55 minutes is up, turn the oven off, crack the oven door open and allow the cheesecake to rest in the oven for an additional hour.
- Then, refrigerate the cheesecake for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Once the cheesecake has cooled in the fridge, spread 1 cup of lemon curd onto the cheesecake and garnish with fresh fruit and/or whipped cream.
- Eat & enjoy!