If taquitos don’t remind you of being a child and/or being drunk in college and needing a late night snack… then I’m not sure what will!
Taquitos were always my go-to snack. They are crunchy, easy to eat at any time of the day, and just plain delicious. Living in Austin, TX, we eat Tex-Mex at least 6 times a week. I will never ever get tired of a taco as there are so many variations and ways to enjoy eating the “same” meal multiple times a week. Now I’m sad just thinking about all of the amazing Tex Mex restaurants in town that are closed due to this global pandemic we are all going through. I NEED CHIPS AND QUESO STAT!!!!
Luckily, I do know a thing or two about cooking and I especially know a thing about cooking Tex Mex meals. My chicken taquitos will bring you back to your childhood but you’ll also experience a completely different taste as I’m amping up this recipe with spicy chipotles alongside a mild & creamy avocado crema to balance out all of the flavors. You will absolutely LOVE this recipe. I highly recommend preparing a batch so you can freeze some of the taquitos for later consumption. You know there will be another time in the future when you need a quick & delicious (or drunken) late night snack….
I hope you give this recipe a try. Stay safe and keep cooking!!
Chicken Chipotle Taquitos with Avocado Crema
- Baking Sheet
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 small yellow onion small dice
- 1 small yellow or red bell pepper small dice
- 1 4.5 oz can diced green chili peppers
- 2 Tbsp chipotle pepper chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped
- 2 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 12 corn tortillas
- Avocado or Canola oil
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 avocado
- 1/3 cup pickled jalapeno peppers
- 2 limes juiced
- Begin by preheating the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large saute pan, heat 2 Tbsp avocado oil over medium high heat.
- Add the ground chicken and cook completely.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, green chilis and chipotle peppers.
- Season the chicken & veggie mix with cumin, chili pepper, salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken stock and reduce until thickened, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken & veggie mixture from the heat. Add chopped cilantro and set aside.
- Heat the corn tortillas in the microwave for 20-25 seconds so they are pliable for rolling.
- Drizzle 1/2 tsp onto one side of the corn tortilla. Flip over and add 1-2 Tbsp chicken & veggie mixture onto the non-oiled side. Sprinkle with Mexican cheese and roll into a taquito. Place seam-side down on a baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Bake the taquitos in the pre-heated oven for 8-10 minutes. Flip the tortillas over and bake seam-side up for an additional 5 minutes.
- While the tortillas are baking, combine the sour cream, lime juice, avocado, pickled jalapeños, cilantro and sprinkle of salt & pepper to a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Plate up the taquitos and drizzle with the avocado crema! YUM!