It’s been a while since I’ve prepared anything with lentils but let me just say that these little balls of beans are so mighty and delicious.
Living in Texas during the winter is like being in a bipolar climate where Mother Nature can’t make up her mind. We had actual snow less than a week ago and today, it’s sunny and in the mid 60’s. I’m not sure why I complain because it’s actually quite nice to experience below freezing temperatures and then be able to throw on a short-sleeved shirt and play tennis a few days later. However, there are certain recipes I like to create during the winter season because I may actually sweat to death if I eat these types of foods during the hot summer months. This recipe is the epitomy of comfort. The lentils are hearty, satisfying and very filling while the spices in this soup are warming and comforting.
Consuming lentils can be very beneficial for our health. They are packed with B vitamins, potassium, zinc, and magnesium. Also, they are a terrific source of fiber and plant-based protein. For those who have tummy troubles and need more help going #2 every day, I highly recommend incorporating lentils into your diet. Due to the high amount of fiber, they improve overall gut function and support regular bowel movements. *I know, who wants to acknowledge bowel movements while talking about food but it’s so true!*
Moreover, this recipe also has turmeric and cinnamon which are both super spices. If you didn’t know, turmeric is the spice which gives curry their yellow color. The main, active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin which has several health benefits including: anti-inflammatory properties, increases antioxidant capacity in the body, improved brain function, prevention & treatment of Alzheimer’s, and so much more. It truly is a great spice to incorporate into your daily diet.
Not only is cinnamon super delicious and provides a sense of warmth to any dish you add it to, it also has powerful health benefits. Like turmeric, cinnamon is also packed with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. In addition, cinnamon lowers blood sugar levels, protects against heart disease and surprisingly, may help fight against the HIV virus. “A laboratory study looking at HIV-infected cells found that cinnamon was the most effective treatment of all 69 medicinal plants studied.” – Healthline.com
Basically, consuming this soup will not only keep your tummy full and happy, it will also keep your entire body healthy and strong. This recipe is so easy and delicious. I hope you enjoy it!
Green Lentil Soup with Tangy Balsamic Reduction
- Large Sauce Pot
- Small Sauce Pot
- Wooden Spoon
- Cutting Board & Chef Knife
- 2 Tbsp Avocado Oil
- 2 Leeks roughly chopped
- 2 stalks Celery roughly chopped
- 2 Carrots roughly chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 cup Green Lentils soaked 2 hours prior to cooking/drained
- 15 oz can Coconut Milk
- 3 1/2 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 cup Balsamic Vinegar optional
- Fresh Grilled Bread optional
- Begin by heating the avocado oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the leek, celery and carrot with a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper. Cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and cook until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the pre-soaked and drained green lentils to the pot. Stir so all ingredients are incorporated.
- Then, add the coconut milk followed by 3 cups vegetable stock.
- Add the turmeric, cinnamon and another pinch of salt and pepper.
- Bring the soup to a boil before reducing the heat to low and covering with a lid. Cook for 25-30 minutes.
- While the soup cooks, add 1 cup balsamic vinegar to a small sauce pot and reduce over medium high heat until thick and syrupy, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Remove the soup from the heat and carefully ladle into a blender. Blend until the soup is smooth.
- Pour the soup back into the pot and add 1/2 cup vegetable stock to loosen the soup slightly.
- Ladle the soup into a bowl and drizzle with the balsamic reduction. Enjoy with grilled bread. Bon Appetit!!