The Christmas season is officially upon us and I’m definitely feeling the holly jolly vibes. What makes the season extra special for me is all of the comfort dishes I enjoy to cook. This soup recipe will become a new family favorite in your home!Jump to Recipe
I love love love this time of the year so much! The combination of the lights, scents, Christmas songs and movies make me feel so warm and cozy inside. Mitch and I put our Christmas tree up right after Thanksgiving and unlike previous years where we purchased a real tree, we used a fake tree this year. Honestly, I can’t decide yet which I prefer. Obviously, having a fake tree in storage and not having to spend $200+ on a tree every year is beneficial; however, I do love having a real tree in the house, too. Our 8′ fake tree (almost hit’s the ceiling!) was a gift from a family member so we couldn’t pass up the opportunity to save some extra cash this holiday season.
So, let’s talk more about this amazing and simple soup recipe…
Chicken and wild rice soup (Campbell’s!!) is a classic most of us have been familiar with since we were kids. I remember when I was a child, I would bring soup in a thermos to school to enjoy at lunch. Chicken noodle soup and chicken with wild rice were my two favorites. Here, I’m taking the classic we all know and love and putting my homemade spin on it. Believe me, this recipe couldn’t be easier as it’s a matter of throwing everything into a pot and cooking for less than one hour. The clean-up is also very easy which is a major plus to this recipe. Anything that only requires one pot or one pan is a no-brainer!
This soup will make your kitchen smell so good. The butter, sage, rosemary infuse together to smell just like I imagine Winter would smell! Your senses will go haywire… in a good way, of course. I hope you love this recipe as much as we do.
Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Cutting Board & Chef Knife
- Large Pot
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 small Onion small dice
- 2 small Carrots small die
- 2 stalks Celery small dice
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1/4 cup White Wine
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 6 cups Unsalted Chicken Stock
- 2 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 8 oz Baby Bella Mushrooms quartered
- 2 sprigs Fresh Rosemary chopped
- 2 sprigs Fresh Sage chopped
- 2 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 1/2 cup Whole Milk
- Kosher Salt & Fresh Black Pepper to taste
- Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese optional
- Freshly Chopped Parsley optional
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat.
- Then, add the onion, carrot & celery and saute until tender, 6-8 minutes.
- Once the veggies are tender, add the garlic and the wine.
- Cook until the wine has reduced completely.
- Then, sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and cook for 2 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon. *It's important to "cook out" the flour or else you'll be able to taste the raw flour.*
- Then, add the chicken stock followed by the raw chicken, mushrooms, wild rice and fresh herbs.
- Bring the soup to a boil before reducing the heat to low and covering with a lid. *Stir the soup every 10 minutes or so to ensure the rice doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot.*
- Cook for 45 minutes over low heat.
- Remove the chicken and transfer to a cutting board. Shred the chicken with two forks.
- Remove the bay leaf from the soup.
- Add the milk and return the chicken to the soup.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with freshly grated parmesan cheese and chopped parsley. Enjoy!