What day of quarantine is it? I feel like we’ve been dealing with COVID-19 and practicing social distancing forever now. I don’t even remember what things were like prior to these times we are all experiencing. Nonetheless, one thing won’t ever change and that is my love for food and cooking… these cheesy skillet potatoes will give you all the comforting vibes we could all use right now.
Who doesn’t love potatoes, cream and cheese? I personally don’t know anyone who would turn this delicious trio away. My game changer to the classic potatoes au gratin is by adding a small amount of whole grain mustard to the cream sauce. The mustard adds a little OOMPH and tanginess to the dish as the fat from the cream, butter and cheese work so well with the sharpness from the mustard.
I wasn’t even planning on creating this recipe as I cooked it on a complete whim based on the ingredients I had in my kitchen. It seems like more of a hassle to leave the house and go to the grocery store during this pandemic so I really only try to go when I need to completely restock the fridge and pantry. It’s almost like gearing up to go to war when I have to leave the house to run errands. I have to put on my face mask, gloves… I even have coronavirus shoes that I wear when I leave the house and take them off at the door before I enter my home. Going out is definitely more of a process than it used to be, but I’m willing to do whatever I can to keep myself and others safe.
So, while we are all practicing social distancing inside our homes, I encourage you to get creative in the kitchen! It’s so fun to take what you already have at home to create something delicious and satisfying. I hope you all love this recipe as much as we did!
Cheesy Skillet Potatoes with Mustard Cream Sauce
- Cast Iron Skillet
- 2 russet potatoes
- 2 Tbsp garlic & chive butter (unsalted butter works too!)
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard
- 1 cup shredded cheese cheddar, gruyere, fontina, pepper jack- your choice!
- 1 bunch curly parsley chopped
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a cast iron skillet, heat the butter over medium heat.
- Add the shallot and red pepper flakes. Cooking the red pepper flakes will cause the spice to "bloom." *Blooming is a technique where you take some spices and heat them up in oil to release and amplify the flavor of the spice.*
- Once the shallot has begun to brown slightly, add the potatoes and combine with the shallot.
- Spread the potatoes into an even layer. Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Whisk the half & half with the whole grain mustard and pour over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle generously with the cheese and pop into the oven until the cheese is golden & bubbly and the potatoes are cooked through.
- Garnish with chopped curly parsley and freshly cracked black pepper. Voila!