This week is already starting off on a gimpy foot for me. I guess it’s because my Memorial Day weekend consisted of work & play… lots of play. Even though today is Tuesday, I was feeling the Monday blues. I need to get back into my groove so I can feel better- mentally and physically!
I’m so used to having a routine. I absolutely love having a routine and I operate better- both mentally and physically- when I follow my routine. I guess it’s because I didn’t get that much sleep over the weekend, but today I felt so tired and unenthused. I know these days come and go again quickly, but I hate them. When I’m feeling tired and unhealthy I can become very quickly unmotivated and almost “depressed” for lack of better terms. What we put into our bodies has such an impact on our mental health.
Drinking alcohol, eating unhealthy and not being physically active can really make me feel down in the dumps. Believe me, I’m not complaining that I had a couple of days off of work and I got to party because it’s important to let loose once in a while. However, all of the unhealthiness can really catch up to me. I know all it takes is a few good days of eating better and getting back in the gym to quickly turn things around.
So, in an effort to get back to my healthy routine and eating habits, I am cooking up delicious recipes like this one! My beet, citrus & avocado salad is SO delicious and packed with so many healthy components. The combination of roasted beets, citrus, avocado and goat cheese is H-E-A-V-E-N-L-Y!
For this recipe you will need:
- 2-3 red beets
- 2-3 golden beets
- 1 small orange, cut into segments
- 1 small grapefruit, cut into segments
- 1 avocado, diced
- 8oz plain goat cheese
- 2 Tbsp half & half
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cut the beets into quarters and toss with avocado oil and a sprinkle of salt & pepper.
Roast the beets in the oven until tender, about 55-60 minutes. Once they are fork-tender, remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- In the meantime, segment the orange & grapefruit. Set aside.
- Using a food processor, combine the goat cheese and half & half. Process both until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
Pour into a small ziplock bag. Set aside.
- Back to the beets: using your hands, peel the outer layer of the beets. The skin should come off rather easily.
- Slice & dice the avocado. *You want to do this last so the avocado doesn’t brown.*
You are welcome to assemble the salad however you’d like but if you want to get all bougie with it, this is how:
- Using half of the plate creates negative space which is eye appealing. Scatter the red and golden beets from top to bottom of the plate.
- Next, arrange the citrus segments around the beets.
- Follow with arranging the avocado around the beets & citrus.
- Snip a corner of the goat cheese-filled ziplock bag. Pipe dollops of the goat cheese in between the fruit & veggies.
- Garnish with microgreens.
Easy, healthy and most importantly, delicious!
I highly recommend this salad as it’s great for the summer months. Give it a try!