Your skin is your body’s largest organ… but how much do you actually know about it? Do you really know how to keep it beautifully radiant and strong? Many of us take our skin for granted- putting it in extreme conditions and temperatures which over time, can lead to wrinkles, dark spots, or even worse, melanoma of the skin. To keep your skin looking and feeling tight and strong, here are 5 easy tips I think we can all follow.
- HYDRATE. It’s free, it’s easy, it’s monumentally-effective. When your skin is more hydrated, it is more plump and resilient. A lot of times, we don’t drink when we “aren’t” thirsty, but in actuality, you are always thirsty and should always be drinking water. Those moments when you are yearning to quench your thirst and can chug an entire bottle of water in 10 seconds is not good. You shouldn’t allow yourself to become that thirsty. An easy way to keep a bottle or glass of water near you throughout the day is to remember how much your skin needs it. Your skin will thank you by looking fresh and glow-y.
- Get enough SLEEP. Without sleep, you won’t only feel horrible, but you will look horrible, too. I know that if I have a long night and have to wake up early the next morning, not only am I dragging ass but I also look so blahhh. Like the bags under my eyes can warn people not to bombard me with questions when I get to work. It’s not ok and I can’t function on little sleep. Getting 7 to 8 hours of sleep a night is sometimes hard to do but it’s important to try. Even if its 6 – 6.5 hours. But do not get any less than 6! Learn to turn the phone, computer, and tv off and go to sleep. Get yourself in the habit of reconnecting with your pillow.
- LIMIT your ALCOHOL intake. Drinking too much alcohol will dehydrate your entire body, mainly your skin. It literally sucks all of the hydration out, leaving your skin feeling shriveled like a prune. That’s why when we are hungover, we feel so bad and have to drink fluids all day long to start feeling normal again. I’m not saying to give up alcohol, because I know I wouldn’t. However, if you’re going to go out binge drinking, remember to chug a bottle of water before you go to bed that night. Also, drink water or coconut water the following day to get your body and skin rejuvenated again- not soft drinks or sweet juices.
- FUEL your body with healthy fats and wholesome ingredients. Eating foods with real ingredients- such as fruits, vegetables and nuts – will provide your skin and body with everything it needs to look amazing. Who doesn’t want to look amazing? I know that when I eat right, my body thanks me by looking and feeling it’s best. I recommend having a small amount of fruit for breakfast, whether it’s a breakfast smoothie or a bowl of berries; a big, yummy salad for lunch with some sort of protein on it; a handful of nuts for an afternoon snack; and lots of protein for dinner- like chicken or fish. I’m all about the fish tacos for dinner – check out this amazing recipe here!
- Don’t forget your SUNSCREEN. This is a hard one to remember – for guys and girls. Using some form of SPF on your face, neck, and hands is absolutely important in warding off harmful and damaging UV rays from the sunlight. I love to get my tan on from time to time, but I still remember to SPF the parts on my skin that burn the most easily. No matter what though, my facial moisturizer contains SPF 30 so I don’t have to worry about dark lines or brown spots on my face.
Some more skin tips to follow include: don’t smoke cigarettes, don’t wash your face with super hot water, take your makeup off before bed, exfoliate your skin once a week, limit your dairy intake, sanitize your phone, keep your hands away from your face, and clean your makeup brushes. These are little things to remember that can make a big difference!